Monday 3 October 2011

Strike One

Up an hour earlier than I would in former guy mode to do my hair, makeup, appropriate outfit, make lunches for the children and to generally prepare for a 10:00 AM meeting.


I had been dealing with the potential client over the phone as "him" during the last few weeks so I felt it only fair to inform them that I would be presenting as female. I mentioned in my e-mail that if they were uncomfortable the meeting could be conducted over the phone or I could arrange someone else from our company to meet with them.


Twenty minutes before the meeting I received a call that the boss of my contact there was not comfortable meeting me. I felt rather crushed but kept a professional tone and set up a meeting between them and my boss. I am upset, one for being rejected out of hand and secondly that my status may jeopardize the deal or at least take it out of my hands. I was looking forward to reporting back some success today.


On the other hand I did receive a very nice call from a friend and colleague today.


Trying to remain positive.


Hugs,


April


3 comments:

  1. April,

    Don't look at it as a STRIKE. Maybe a little "chin music" on the first pitch from someone who got the nervous nellies just before the game and couldn't get rid of them. Someone will have to be the FIRST to do business with you as April and see that the talented person they were interested or excited to work with is still there. Just this person dresses better, smells better and probably smiles a lot more when she talks.

    You got it right, lady. Try to remain positive. : )

    Karin

    ReplyDelete
  2. April, this is not a strike against you, dear; it belongs on the other person. After all, it was you who did all the leg work to get this guy into the office. It was you who made it possible for the company to work with this person. You have only handed off this person to your boss with all the paperwork done except sign, and if he doesn't sign on the line it because of his lack of character; not yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Says a lot more about him than you - can understand the frustration though.

    Becca

    ReplyDelete