Sunday 21 April 2013

Miss Canada



I have held off blogging for a few weeks as I have been busy trying to finish a freelance project and because I knew that I would soon have some real news to share.

Two weeks ago I heard from the Provincial Ministry of Health that I had received approval for surgery. All I then needed was a letter from my doctor and some medical forms to fill out.

Today (yes Saturday) I received an e-mail from the office of Drs. Menard and Brassard office saying that July 1st is to be my date for SRS surgery. Somewhat shocked I got a response so quickly (they had said mid-week they might have an answer) it took a few minutes for me to process the information.

I immediately started texting friends and thinking about all the arrangements necessary for me to travel to Montreal. It hadn’t occurred to me but my friend D pointed out that the first was Canada Day, hence the title of this post!

My first visit to CAMH was October 2009, it took almost nine months to get into see them.

I started hormones in March 2010. It took six months to find a sympathetic doctor.

I started this blog August 18th, 2010. In my first post I wrote that I hoped my road might be a freeway. There have been a few traffic jams but the destination is now in sight.

I didn’t go full time till September31, 2011 due to employment issues.     

It is hard to believe surgery is just over two months away. The gap between some of these dates doesn’t seem that long but at the time seemed huge. The challenges seemed insurmountable too but here I am. So soon but light years away from the child who laid in bed praying to God to wake up a girl.

I am a pessimist at heart so I can’t help worrying about last minute complications, accidents, problems, that could prevent me from reaching my goal. You know like being caught up in a freak elephant accident or something.

I am of course excited, so please bear with me as I know many have already written about this portion of their journey and the story is somewhat old hat. I am also aware of the pain that those of you who are still on the road and struggling to make progress feel.

I hope that all of you can soon feel the joy I am feeling now.

Hugs,

April

Here is one of my favorite later tunes by the Cramps, and surprisingly appropriate:
 

PS. the photo is of Miss Canada 1966 with a Canadian made Clairtone "G" stereo...cool eh?

17 comments:

  1. It IS huge, and it's not old hat at all. I'm thrilled for you, and will send out anti-elephant vibes.

    As you say, so much to plan in a hurry now. Not only travel arrangements, but post-op needs. And no working on your cars for a while - it'll be like when a natal woman has a hysterectomy - no lifting, pulling, wrenching, bending even. Invest in a couple of old person's gadgets, such as a stick with pincers on the end, operated with a trigger, for picking things up off the floor. You'll bless having one.

    Congratulations meanwhile on this great news!

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the good wishes and practical advice Lucy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's wonderful news, so pleased for you.

    Its always interesting to read about someone's experiences as I think they end up being so different and we can all learn from what others go through, what went ok for them, what didn't, what they learnt.

    Look forward to hearing how the next few months go for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, sweetie!!!! So, so, so happy for you! No one deserves happiness more. Sincerely.

    I had thought we agreed the beginning of July would be the ideal time for that sit-up contest we always discuss... but I suppose putting it off for, say, one or two days won't hurt anything. Right? I am nothing if not a flexible kind of gal, after all...

    Much love, sis!!!! So incredibly happy for you!!!!

    Hugs,
    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic news, so pleased for you. It also gives me heart to know that others are having their surgery and that hopefully my turn will not be too far away (I have been full-time for 9 months now).
    Love and all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations, great news, interesting initials CAMHS here means Children and Adolescent Mental Health Service. And as for the journey being old hat, well who else made the journey in a combination of Jags and Cadies?

    ReplyDelete
  7. April,

    It will be over soon and then do yourself a favor and live a little and have some fun and just be a girl. It truly is better afterwards.

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi April congratulations the light at the end of the tunnel best wishes. Thank you for being brave enough to blog your experiences and feelings I can't imagine how hard it is to put such personal feeling, emotions and experience out for the world. Thank you for inspiring me to start my own journey

    ReplyDelete
  9. The customisations you are getting done will totally transform the old base model, perhaps not quite as good as factory fitted options on a new model but as near as damn it. Enjoy...

    ReplyDelete
  10. What fantastic news!! I'm so pleased for you April!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. April,

    Congratulations on such wonderful news! I can only imagine all the different emotions you are feeling right now. : )

    Of any of the girls who deserves to have a nice APRIL Surprise (pun intended)... it is you. Thank you for sharing your journey with all of us and for being a tough lady who inspires those around her. While I am not a car-geek myself, I can't wait to read about the first big drive you make after Miss Canada Day is over. You have never given up and even when things became "gritty," you kept on swinging for the fences with a smile!

    Bon Chance (is that right?),

    Karin

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice. Reach out to me via my blog if you have any questions about L'Ascelpiade or anything... I was there myself a while back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Faline, I will do so as I have a lot of questions ;)

      Delete
    2. I'll keep my eye out for it.

      Delete
  13. Dear Jenna, Cass, Louise, Paula, Liz, Heather, Caroline, Joey, Karin and the flood of readers thanks you all for your congratulations and good wishes.

    I am so excited and looking forward to my trip to Montreal!

    Hugs,

    April

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is very happy new indeed! I'm coming up on the one year anniversary of my appointment in Montreal and have nothing but wonderful things to say about the doctors and the care. Just be sure to ask where the upstairs internet router is...it needs resetting from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. congratulations! may all go well and as planned!

    ReplyDelete