Wednesday 12 June 2013

Why I'm Pissed: Part 1


I was very excited today, I had a job interview in my field. The job was not as senior as my prior position but I didn't care it was in automotive/marketing, relatively nearby and the pay wasn't bad.

I have been working with a charitable agency that organizes networking sessions, career advice and they set up a mock interview at short notice that went very well.

I headed to the interview this morning well prepared, well dressed and confident.

I was in the interview for an hour and a half. I knew there was some concern that I was over qualified and I came prepared with arguments to put their mind at ease.

Besides HR I also met the president of the company, I believe I passed with both, hopefully without question.

It was at the end of the session that they admitted that the position had been filled yesterday! Although I spent an hour being interviewed for the advertised job they really brought me in to see about a "possible" more senior position "maybe sometime" later in the summer.

I wish that had been made clear at the outset and I would have prepared quite differently and would not have gotten my hopes up for a job that had already been filled.

Despite feeling very upset and disappointed I was professional and on returning home sent off a thank you e-mail and promised to follow up with them in late July.

Right now I am in a bit of a funk and am afraid it will take a while to shake it off and start all over again.

Stay tuned for more whinging in Part 2 tomorrow...


7 comments:

  1. April,

    I am so sorry, sis.

    Sadly, this now seems to be considered perfectly acceptable behavior by far too many companies. I heard several similar stories from friends today. Not only is it totally unprofessional, it is cruel.

    You have every right to be furious. Do not let it fester; we know what happens when we do. You are better than them, and in the long run the scales will balance.

    Somewhere out there is a lucky company that has already hit the jackpot - because they are going to be the company that is smart enough to see all that you have to offer. It is simply a matter of time.

    Until then, keep your head up and be proud of how strong you are. I'm proud of you.

    Hugs,
    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  2. The approach this company took was so unprofessional on so many levels as Cass says.
    They don't seem to appreciate two factors. First, they should expect someone coming to an interview to be focussed on the position advertised, not some other position with different job skill sets.
    Second, an interview is a two way street, and they crapped out quite clearly, as you are now very unimpressed with them.

    Your professional attitude in the face of all that says a lot for you April. Good on you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. April,
    You acted totally professionally and whatever company employs you will be really lucky.
    The only thing is that you got some practice in for your next interview.
    Hope the next company you get interviewed at is a lot more professional in their attitude.

    A colleague and I had interviews for a company last year, they changed the job that they were interviewing him for during the course of his interview and neglected to inform me that they interviewed people for potential test management roles as well as the role that you were being interviewed for. He got offered a job and even though my experience was a lot more than his they turned me down because I didn't demonstrate test management potential.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have to look at it this way - they would not have spent an hour and a half interviewing you if they were not serious about considering you for the senior post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very unprofessional to interview after the job was given but maybe down the road it will pay dividends.

    Besides after your SRS on July first you will need some time to recover. Maybe it is a blessing. You need to take care of yourself after SRS and working is not the best way in the short term after surgery.

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bill them for your time and fuel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Got to agree with Louise here. I hope that it comes good in the end

    ReplyDelete