Friday 20 August 2010

A New Found Confidence




I am not quite sure where it came from. All of a sudden fear has fallen away and I am ready to tell the world that I am Trans that I want to be a woman. A year ago and even a month or two ago I would only admit that to myself. Saying that out loud to another person would have been unimaginable. Other girls talk about ones bell ringing, this is similar, like a switch has been thrown and I am now ready to take that next big step.

Don't get me wrong I am still a nervous wreck when I go out as April to somewhere new. My friends and I often frequent a local coffee shop. The staff know us and I feel totally comfortable meeting their for a little girl talk. Put me in a mall for the first time and I will be a basket case for the first forty five minutes or so. Then I can shop till I drop.

The confidence is that I am becoming April more and more even when I do not clearly present as female. I feel her presence even when I am at work in guy mode. And I welcome her "hostile" takeover. My therapist described her as ruthless but in a good way. Perhaps she is finally tired of hiding. I wrote to one friend saying that once I have told my children, almost everyone I care about will know and to paraphrase Nelson, the rest can be damned.

More importantly I am no longer filled with an overwhelming sense of guilt and shame. Those terrible twin emotions that drive Trans people to despair and their darkest thoughts. It is a confidence that I finally believe that I can do it, that I can successfully transition. I have hope again. I can now imagine the unimaginable...telling people and transition itself has become "maginable" . My SO talked about telling her parents, her sister and brother, about neighbors finding out and I found that I could take it that I wanted them to know, that I was excited and happy to let them know who I am. It is a step closer to becoming who I want to be.

Therapy has allowed me to better accept myself and now I can share April with those I love and eventually the world. Becoming April is not a bad thing it is not shameful or a cause for guilt it is a JOYOUS thing, it is a transformation full of LOVE and HOPE.

It is this weekend we plan to tell the children. I am scared; I do not want to hurt them. I have though a lot about what I will say and how to say it but most importantly I need to let them feel that joy and the love and hope that is in my heart. I will be a better person and a better parent.

Ok, I hope this didn't come across as too Pollyannaish, I have no misconceptions about the difficulties on the road ahead, but I have tank full of hope and a pretty good idea where I am going. ...now where is that on ramp?

An indulgence, spare me a thought this weekend and if inclined say a prayer for my family.
Hugs,

April

4 comments:

  1. First of all, thanks for sharing your story on your new blog. I look forward to reading.

    Secondly, good luck on telling the kids. Mine (ages 10, 8, & 6) have known for several months now, and have adjusted really well. It really helps that your spouse is on board with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi April, glad to see you. Good luck telling your children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about the "switch" going off - that happened to me recently. How old are your children? Will you let us know how that goes? I have four children myself (21, 19, 17, and 11) but haven't told them yet. However, one (17 girl) is very insightful so it probably wouldn't surprise her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, April. I understand the joy you feel. I know that since I have started my transition I am so much more open and able to finally express my feelings. For the first time in my life I am comfortable with myself. A couple months ago I told my boys (18 & 21) all about me and they have been wonderful.

    There are so many girls with horror stories that sometimes you have to wonder why any of us want transition. What we really need is more sharing of the joy so many of us feel when we finally set ourselves free. Sometimes I also think that I come across as a pollyana, but how can I be negative when I'm finally starting to live?

    Hugs,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete