Friday 3 September 2010

An Experiment


For the MTF Trans person hair is so incredibly important. It instantly identifies you as male or female. The right wig can instantly transform.

I still have my hair so I guess I am lucky but I have a typical male hair line, tall forehead and widow’s peak. Also my hair is amazingly fine and straight. I think I will be able to grow my own hair once I transition but will still need the scalp advanced surgically to look feminine.

A busy work schedule and a favorite barber who is in another town has meant that my current hair is well beyond its male best before date. In fact it is the longest it has ever been. I guess I could have got my hair cut but subconsciously I didn’t really want to.

I usually wore it in an Elvis style duck tail having too use much gel and hair spray to keep my pin straight hair defying gravity. I have worn variations of this style for twenty years or so (ZOMG!). Occasionally getting a flat top in the summer months. Time for a change don’t you think.

The plan or experiment is to see if I can have my hair styled for a feminine look, preferably one that downplays my forehead and can be combed in a male manner for work. That is not too much to ask is it!

I have an appointment with a stylist at a beauty salon early tomorrow morning. She was recommended by a friend. I will of course have to explain the “experiment” to her and that means telling her about me. “You don’t know me but I am Trans,” should be an interesting morning.

And if it all goes south it is all back to short back and sides…

Hugs,

April

4 comments:

  1. Don't go back to short back and sides, April! You'll instantly regret it, and might become depressed at giving in to convention. Plus, it'll take a heartbreakingly long time to grow long again. Keep the length. People must be used to it anyway. Capitalise on that.

    The classic answer to the front M hair-shape and high forehead is to adopt a fringe, or alternatively shoulder-length hair that frames the face with an off-centre parting. If you have the right fit-looking build and personal style to match, you could try the surfer or lifeguard look - really long, sun-bleached, windblown hair, verging on unkempt but at least unisex. Or the rock star look - much the same, but permed, way too glam and showbizzy for an ordinary office job in a suit, but probably OK for certain professions and trades.

    At this point I'd experiment with a variety of styles that don't involve sacrificing length. But I wouldn't recommend an afro with sunglasses!

    An unmistakeably androgenous hairstyle is going to affect your public image, so you need to be mentally prepared for some double-takes and stares, unless you can present well as a female-looking person.

    Good luck!

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  2. April,
    If your stylist is as good as the stylists that I've had while growing my hair out then you'll be fine.
    Both knew about me being Trans. Both were happy with it.
    In fact I'm still with my second one and she is frighteningly enthusiastic about what she is going to be able to do with my hair. :-D
    Hope your stylist is as accepting and enthusiastic as mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments Lucy and Jenny. Excited about tomorrow. My first trip to a salon, I cannot count the number of times I have walked by and wished I could go inside...

    April

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny you mention going to a barber. When I was in my 20's, my wife got me started on going to her salon for my haircuts and I have done that ever since. It is so different having a woman cut your hair...the talk, the attention to detail, etc. Only problem is that I can't grow it out long even though, like you, I have no hair loss to speak of.

    Calie xxx

    ReplyDelete