Wednesday 24 November 2010

Prison of My Own Making



I have mentioned before that my job is one I cannot transition at. A small privately held company its policies are solely dictated by the owner.

I firmly believe that outing myself would lead to instant dismissal if not the threat of physical violence. I fear that if I leave and my transition becomes known my reputation will be unmercifully attacked.

I have been complicit in allowing what was initially a dream job becoming a stifling prison. Being Trans aside my job has past its best before date. Time to move on.

Ah but there’s the rub, I have been unable or unwilling to give up the safety of a regular salary and dealing with an industry I love. Between myself and my employer I, have fashioned the very chains that bind me to unhappiness and a continued and unbearable male existence.

I had a break down this week, the stresses overflowed the levees of my male façade and I sobbed in anger and frustration.

I am not so blind to realize that in these difficult economic times a job is a valuable thing and I am grateful to have been employed for a long time. But the time for change is LONG overdue. I need to find the strength to make that change happen.

April

Here is the movie version of Jailhouse Rock:


2 comments:

  1. April,

    I know exactly how you feel. I love my job but know that I cannot keep it once I go full time. So I'm giving myself a lot of time to work towards the end of this. Don't rush, but don't wait too long and make an escape plan that will work for you.

    Good luck!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to read this post April. I can sympathise with you for having an over-blokeish workplace, I had one too before my move. All I can say is that you have a very transportable skillset so at least moving might come more easily to you than for some people.

    ReplyDelete