Thursday 10 February 2011

End of the Beginning


I apologize as it has been a day or two since my last post. Tuesday was my final day at my old job, we had a company lunch, I took the last of my personal stuff to my car, said good bye to all the guys. I made a final few calls to clients, handed over my computer and phone passwords then drove home.

It was surprisingly emotional but I didn't look back. In September I would have been there ten years, unimaginable when I started. It was kind of like leaving home, so many memories whether good or bad, I still spent a fair percentage of my life there.

I knew I had been doing the job too long when I would look back on a project and think it was last year and it was actually five years ago. After so, long all the seasons and episodes blended into each other.

Tuesday night I was emotionally drained and totally physically exhausted all I wanted to do was sleep.

Another issue that has kept me from blogging is dealing with my eldest daughter. I have naturally been reluctant to discuss any details but the purpose of this blog is to be honest and not candy coat the realities of being Trans.
Not yet a teenager, the normally happy student and gifted writer has developed an aversion to school. There are other issues but my transition is at the top of her list of worries.

I feel terribly guilty and thoughts of giving up on my transition abound. The black tendrils of depression once again encircled my heart and I felt myself shutting down. I believed myself to be a selfish monster.

I attended a school that was very religious though not evangelical, I always read that God only sets us tasks we normally would never want to do. At first I thought that was transition, rather it appears that not transitioning is the task I do not wish to embark on. I am not that strong, the years before me of pretending to be a guy, to play the role of strong silent family man. Content to numb himself with a succession of old cars, politics, history books anything to distract me.

I escaped into exercise until the sweat stung my eyes and matted my hair to my head. I cursed God, for making me this way, for making me too weak to fight it, to take this bitter cup from before me. I told him to strike me down with a heart attack, make my car slide on the ice and crash, I double dog dared him. I ran and ran till I fell off the tread mill putting my foot through the wall, the only injury being to my pride.

I had a long talk with "J", not transitioning is NOT the answer. To try and go back now is impossible, relationships have permanently changed and as she reminded me a happy and engaged parent is better than an emotionally dead shell of a man. As she noted before the only photos of me smiling are as April.

The long march forward continues, big changes are on the horizon, I need to be positive so I am there for my children.

Hugs,

April

Here is a tune by Sweden's Top Cats, this will get you going better than a cup of Starbucks:





2 comments:

  1. Hi April
    It's a tough life we make for ourselves, huh?
    I'm sure that eventually all things will come together with your daughter and yourself.
    It's a tough road to drive, this transgender highway. Filled with twists and turns, starts and stops, hills and valleys and the seemingly endless dead ends. Only to get to the next question...
    "Well? Where do I go from here?"
    The answer lies in your heart. You will know what to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks LeAnne,

    I always enjoy your blog.

    Hugs,

    April

    ReplyDelete