Tuesday 29 March 2011

A Gentleman


“J’s” father passed away late Monday morning, she had been by his side almost constantly since he entered the hospice.

He was in considerable discomfort, it was difficult for her to watch and do her best to comfort him. She did a great job, was very strong and I am sure helped him find peace at the end. “J” has a strong faith that has helped her cope; I only wish mine were as strong.

Her father was a gentleman. He really was a wonderful person, worked on the line at Chrysler when the cars still had fins, became a police officer, adopted three children, built is own house. He was an artist, though I am sure he would not describe himself that way, both in photography and carving. A car guy, backyard mechanic and all round handyman in that great Popular Mechanics tradition.

He always put me at ease and would let me ramble on about cars. I never heard him get mad or upset.



She has lost the Atlas holding up her world.


April

4 comments:

  1. I love the old cars with tail fins. From the looks of it, I'd say it came from a 1959 something, but I can't figure out what make it is. Can you give us a clue?

    Melissa XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Melissa,

    The fin is from a 1961 Chrysler, part of designer Virgil Exner's "Forward Look". J's dad had a 61 coupe he owned from new and kept for years.

    Hugs,

    April

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having the courage, the strength, and the willingness to be at his bedside. Definately shows the love and compassion "J" has for her father.

    Personally, I would emphasize the courage.

    When my mother was in her last days of suffering. I knew that I should have been there more than I was. However, seeing the person whom raised me single handedly since I was five live the last hours of her life in such a way that would be best not to describe. Tore my heart to shreds. I could not stay for more than a few minutes.

    However, two of my sisters stayed until the end.

    They were willing to be there for her no matter how difficult it was to experience.

    Please give "J" my love and wish her the best in this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. April, my deepest condolences to you and J.

    It sounds like he was a kind soul, who had rich and fulfilling life with a great family; there is not much more that you can hope for in life...

    Take care and hope to see you soon,
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete