Saturday 15 December 2012

Antidote


I know I am being hypocritical having posted a series of mostly secular Christmas songs last year at this time but this season the endless drivel of 'holiday" standards croaked by an ever changing retinue of aging pop stars makes me want to drive my Thunderbird through a shopping mall like Jake and Elwood.

Gosh that felt good to write.

I am not a church goer…..I think I have authority issues. I have belief, though my faith may be lacking.

Two different religious themed videos held me in their sway this week and both made me cry……I blame the hormones.  One the post apocalyptic movie Book of Eli, succinctly summed up by a friends teenage daughter as Denzel Washington and a Bible, the other a hymn that a younger me once sung at school.

I offer both as an antidote to the endlessly cloying December to Remember commercials.





Added bonus:

Do you have a Miss Piggy?

3 comments:

  1. Similar story here, April. I grew up in a religious family, and attended church regularly. But then I committed the ultimate sin: I began to think for myself. Blasphemer! How dare you question the authority of old white men! Now sit down and keep your mouth shut! (Unless one of the priests had something else in mind, that is.)

    Sorry. Not in the best of moods after the past 36 hours. Besides the horrific news yesterday, I have firsthand experience with the kind of abuse the church covered up for decades. Thinking about organized religion stirs these feelings up.

    Anyway, being told what to think didn't - and doesn't - sit well with me. I don't suppose any of us who transition could do so if that wasn't the case. Then there's the fact that the church of my family tells me I'm going to burn in hell for the sin of being myself. But I digress.

    But enough of that. There is enough sadness in the world right now.

    Your music choices are lovely today. Here's another, a gentle, healing song about the redeeming power of nature, and a quiet, thoughtful statement about the importance of faith in oneself:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j1SIUGRxRM&feature=share

    Hugs,
    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there,

    Yup - me again. :c)

    Sorry - that last post came off a bit more intense than I realized. I'm OK; I actually had a good day, all things considered. Writing after four hours of sleep and being up nearly 21 straight hours is not conducive to coherent thoughts. lol

    Just wanted to post one other clip for you, from Peter Gabriel's magnificent score to Martin Scorsese's 1988 film The Last Temptation of Christ. This is the penultimate track, "It Is Accomplished":

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0EYRC4NQ-Q

    We need its message of hope in the face of unspeakable tragedy today more than ever.

    Hugs (and sorry again!),
    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Darling Prily, it never ceases to baffle me that, just when I think I have a handle on where you are, you seem to dig down deeper into the darkest areas of your soul, and come up with more incite into who you are. I sincerely wish that I could solve your dilemma, and end the pain that you feel, and do it yesterday. Unfortuately it is not within my - albeit considerable - powers. What I can do, however futile, is to always be here for you, whenever you need me, for whatever reason. Love you dearly.

    Hugs and kisses

    Genni.

    ReplyDelete