Monday 24 September 2012

Best of Times, the Blurst of Times….Stupid Monkey



I have been putting off this post as I hoped that something would happen to change things or I happened to get a Jimmy Stewart, Its a Wonderful Life style attitude adjustment. 

But sadly no, if I waited any longer this bog would be as dated as my taste in music, movies and cars.

If you have continued to drop by to check if I am still alive thanks for your persistence. It has not been an easy couple of weeks. 

Unemployment benefits ended unexpectedly with no new job in sight and personal finances in disarray. 

Depression returned and with it thoughts of suicide. Sunday's headline in the Drudge Report, mentioned that more Americans now die by suicide than car accidents. Given the state of the economy on both sides of the 49th parallel that is not such a great surprise. Add being transsexual to being unemployed and it is a little like playing Russian roulette with all the chambers filled.

I have bounced back an forth between depression, hope and gallows humour. It is not any easier for "J" as the financial well being of the family is on her shoulders. I feel less than useless.

Looking back at the interviews I have had I am sure I didn't get one job because of being transsexual while the most recent I am confident I passed. As my one year full time anniversary approaches do I consider transition a mistake, no but success has eluded me so far.

The need to be there for three children also limits jobs that don't pay enough to cover child care. I need a new career position but those seem difficult to come by despite years of high level experience.

I have sold surplus hot rod and vintage car parts to strengthen the family budget and have had to consider selling some cars too. Finding buyers for big gas guzzling seventies luxo barges is not so easy with the price of crushed dinosaur juice so high.

There are some more flexible opportunities on the horizon but they will have to be pursued in tandem to provide anything like a living wage. I continue to write professionally but the amount paid to freelancers by magazines has also been cut. 

So sorry no happy ending or light at the end of the tunnel just a confusing jumble of emotions. For the moment I remain upright and sniffin' air...
cant find any pathetic sad faced photos,  image at top is me in a Austin FX4 taxi, kinda rare over here


I was going to post something sad and sweet by the Ravonettes but perhaps a musical selection that always bring a smile when I hear it.  Ladies and gentlemen, George Formby:..... and yes he is before by time you smart ass


Hugs,

April

8 comments:

  1. I can appreciate that at times it can be hard to be positive. Life sometimes can deliver some hard knocks but you have fought hard for this life and it's worth hanging onto.

    I hope very much that your fortune changes soon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Girl,

    Please don't lose hope. I have been praying relentlessly for something to come your way job wise. Maybe if we all got together and formed a prayer circle or group... there is more power in prayer when more people join together to pray. Have you asked for help at your church?

    I'm sure I told you before that I was out of work for just over twenty months. The job I now have leaves a lot to be desired, but it is an income for now. I'm working at changing that hopefully as soon as is feasible, but this is what the Lord sent my way for now.

    Here's a thought... have you given any consideration to a possible career in modeling? You certainly have the looks and everything else to go with it. You never know 'til you try, do you?

    I'll get back to you late hon.

    Hugs,

    Cynthia XX

    ReplyDelete
  3. April,

    I, too, am praying for you. Don't lose hope, sister. Take care, hon.

    Hugs,
    Peg

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey girl, my thoughts are always with you; despite living on the other side of the pond we all have our ups and downs so I really emphasise with you. Being trans is always just one part of the story. I had to sell my collection of bicycles and my motorcycles just to pay for Electrolysis but I know which I would rather have, a hair-free face anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey girl,

    You know I'm pulling for you, and sending all available good vibes northward. (Hopefully the exchange rate is working in your favor.)

    In the meantime, keep an eye out for those rakes, lest you wind up like Sideshow Bob:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B0xe_iaTjs

    Never fails to make me laugh. :c)

    Keep your chin up, April!!!

    Hugs and love,
    Cass

    P.S. I totally second the modeling idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My thoughts and best wishes are with you. You will always have friends when in need. Love, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gotta LOVE the music! When I get down in the dumps I dip into R Crumb and the Cheap Suit Serenaders. You are proud of who you are so make sure that shows when you interview.

    Hopefull Hugs from South of the Border,
    Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi April, I've wanted to say a quick "hello" for a while now, but now seems like a good time.

    I just wanted to say you ar an inspiration to me. I can never imagine having the courage that you have had to be your true self.

    I'm very closeted and look regularly to your blog to see it there is an update.

    I look to catch an a peel into your life, because you give me hope that life can be lived authentically.

    So I know your struggling right now and things will probably continue to be hard for a bit, but you are strong, brave, intelligent, honest, compassionate and beautiful. Please know there are girls like me that look to you to see if we can be a authentic an brave as you.

    Thank you for your honesty.

    love, Michelle

    ReplyDelete