Wednesday 26 June 2013

Transsexual Continuum: Au revoir monsieur….Bonjour, mademoiselle…



My undergrad degree is in history, it was also my favourite subject as a child and the only one I excelled at. I love exploring the history of everything around me, my cars, the companies that produced them, technology, politics, music. 

I want to know the history of how things came to be as they are. I look at the world through the lens of history. I am baffled how other people can go through life not knowing the historical issues and facts that shape our day to day existence.

I see my existence as a citizen of the democratic west as a continuum that stretches back from the American Revolution to Great Britain to Rome and to Greece.

It is the same with being transsexual, I made it my business to find out all I could about those who went before, the  trailblazers without whom we would not have the map to find our way forward.

Frequent readers will recognize my fascination with Dr. Burou and the Parisian transsexual scene of the late fifties, early sixties. I have even had two articles published on the subject. His patients included my heroines, Coccinelle, Bambi and April Ashley.

When I travel to Montreal to receive surgery on July 1st, it is the technique pioneered by Dr. Burou in Casablanca that will be the basis of my SRS.  

In her autobiography April Ashley recounts how on the operating table as the anaesthetic kicked in Dr. Burou said,

"I must ask you again, any doubts...'
      'Do your finest work, Doctor.'
      Then they gave me the final jab.
      As I murmured, 'One ... two ... three . Dr Burou bent over and breathed, 'Au revoir, monsieur.' 
As I came round I was not aware of my body, which was immobilised by bandages. The first words were Dr Burou's: 'Bonjour, mademoiselle.'
      I heard myself, far off, saying, 'Was it successful?'
      'Indeed it was. I'm very proud of you.'
      Then I passed out with relief."
Au revoir monsieur….Bonjour, mademoiselle… words I will whisper to myself  on the first of the month.

Hugs,

April 

read all of Miss Ashley's autobiography here: http://www.antijen.org/Aprilv1/


Casablanca is that way monsieur...



7 comments:

  1. Congratulations' and best wishes and a speedy recovery. Also glad to hear that your Lincoln will be back on the road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best wishes to you and hopes for an excellent recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post, sis. I am so, so happy for you!!!!

    Hugs,
    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and that is a lovely photo of you, btw. :c)

    ReplyDelete
  5. April,
    My best wishes for you. I’ve always been a fan of dragonflies. When we were waiting for our first grandchild to be born a little over a year ago, a dragonfly perched itself on one of our screened windows. Hour after hour, it remained there, unmoving, while we anxiously awaited our grandson to be born. We checked multiple times….still there. When the call finally came that we were blessed with a grandson, we checked the window and the dragonfly was now gone, having only moments before seeming pretty happy with its position on our screen. Dragonflies have been symbolically represented in a number of different ways and sometimes differently by various cultures. But I prefer to look at dragonflies as a symbol of new life, a change or transformation in our being, new beginnings and our ability to adapt to how we want to live our lives and receive out of life those things that we need and desire. They symbolize a joy of being, who and what we are and prompting us to pay attention to all of our deeper thoughts and desires of what we want to get out of life and who and what we really want to be. Dragonflies have a limited lifespan, so they also should remind us all of life’s brevity and encourage us to live life to the fullest and as we wish to be in the time we are given. Therefore, my sincere hope is that dragonflies bless your life and bring you the things in life that make your life full, meaningful and bring you peace. My best wishes in the coming days and years. Spread your wings and fly.
    Jeanie
    PS. Sorry for the soliloquy

    ReplyDelete
  6. my thoughts go with you. good luck and all the best next week on the surgery.

    i was just thinking if you were in the usa they will have fireworks go off on the 4th of july you could use that as a celebration after your surgery *giggle giggle*

    at any rate i wish you well
    hugs
    diana

    ReplyDelete
  7. The history of those pioneers of less than a single short lifetime ago have ensured that we can lie back with confidence as the anaesthetic goes in sure in the knowledge that in what seems like moments we will be reborn as we should have been born.

    Hope the Lincoln recovers as well as you do and you enjoy many happy years together...

    ReplyDelete