Thursday 25 July 2013

She's Back.....



I don’t know if I would go as far as say I am back in the land of the living but I think I have finally left the walking dead stage behind.

The mind is willing but the body is weak sums up the way I am feeling this morning.

First of all a big thanks to super blogger Cass who kept the home fires burning on this blog with my garbled texts from the front lines. She has also been a true friend patiently listening to my tearful bitching.

What the hell can I say about the experience, except I am still processing it all. I knew theoretically that it would be painful but never having had any major surgery I was ill prepared for the level of pain I experienced. Emotionally it was challenging, transition is a gradual process but SRS is an immediate change.

I left the recovery center in Montreal on the 10th, my father once again was nice enough to pick me up and drive me back to Ontario. First stop was McDonalds; I was craving a Big Mac and a McFlurry, ohhhhhh greasy, chocolatey heaven.

For the last two weeks plus I have been staying at the home of my old friend “D”. I have known “D” since I was 14 and we share a love of old luxury cars. He was the prior owner of my 76 Electra Limited coupe. I will be returning the favor and playing Florence Nightingale later in the year when “D” goes in for surgery….no not SRS! 

It was agreed between my ex “J” and I that I do not come home right away as she didn’t want me upsetting the children. Also I would feel obligated to help out around the house when I would be in no condition to do anything but look after myself.

After two weeks I am really looking forward to getting home to my own bed, seeing my girls and last but not least DRIVING!!!!!!! I don’t care if it is around the block but I need to see six feet of hood in front of me and seven liters plus of V8 under my right foot. Talk about withdrawal. Forget Demerol my drug of choice is Detroit.

“J” and I disagreed about my return, I wanted to come home now, her opinion was that I don’t ever. After much discussion by text and in person we seemed to have reached a compromise. I will be going home but the stay will not be permanent. I would have secured my own place before surgery but as a writer I am hopelessly underemployed. A real job is my priority, writing is only a stopgap, I have an MBA in marketing and have worked for multinationals such as Bridgestone Firestone and the Bank of Montreal. 

The photos were taken by my friend Natasha after a mercy trip to Taco Bell we popped into my favorite salon to say hello to the girls….. what can I say fatigue overcame me.      
  




12 comments:

  1. Good to see you back. And I suspect you are fortunate your chosen car only has two pedals :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a pleasure to be your personal secretary, Miss April. Now can I take off this leapord-skin corset and matching five-inch heels?

    (Also, the bill is in the mail. Net 15, just as we discussed.)

    Welcome back, sis! You were missed!

    Hugs and lots & lots of love (as always),
    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to see you back.
    Take care of yourself. Hope your back behind the wheel soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to hear you are recovering, albeit slowly.

    I hope the job situation improves rapidly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. welcome bsck LADY ( truethfully now!) glad to see you are on the road to recovery.
    i understand about the vintage autos. went to harra's in alantic city nj a few years back didn't gamble but spent 1-2 hours ogling the last of the cars in their collection a 1900's little carriage with engine. good thing it wasn't a slot machine as i could really get caught up in this little brass era horseless carriage. a great combination for healing one is the combination of antique cars near the sounds of the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you're back. Make sure to take it easy for a while. I know we don't have to tell you that, but sometimes we can over do it.
    Take care of yourself during this time and take time to explore and dilate, dilate, dilate. :)
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  8. a quick thanks to everyone....back to dilating

    hope today will be my first behind the wheel, if you feel the earth move its just me starting the Lincoln Mark IV.

    ReplyDelete
  9. April,

    Very glad to have you back amongst the Writing and that your SRS was a safe success. I know you had a tough recovery for a bit, but hopefully that has all subsided now.

    I can't add to the great advice you already have gotten, but I was definitely want you to know that I was thinking of you last week when I saw this great video. Don't know if you are a Stones fan like me, but I KNOW you'll dig the car in this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-e2bptjUOc

    Hugs and Joy,

    Karin

    ReplyDelete
  10. April, just catching up here and happy to hear you are recovering well, hope each day is getting better. So sorry we weren't able to connect before you went in, things have been and continue to be crazy. But I have been thinking of you. Looking forward to your next post to hear how you are doing. xoxox
    Adena

    ReplyDelete
  11. glad you are back among the living april! i hope you recover well!

    ReplyDelete